Your dinner tonight is sorted.
Q: What’s delicious… and just a little cheesy? A: This nutrition-packed halloumi bowl! It has a winning flavour combination, thanks to the delicate, slightly sweet artichokes alongside juicy cherry tomatoes, salty cheese and some greens. This dish makes a super-satisfying lunch or dinner, and you can easily double the ingredients to make enough for an evening meal and lunch the next day. If you’re cooking for kids, they’ll love the rainbow colours and presentation of the bowl.
Griddled halloumi with roast Jerusalem artichokes, burst tomatoes and asparagus
4 Jerusalem artichokes
Sea salt, to taste
8-10 cherry tomatoes
2 tsp olive oil
40g (¼ cup) jasmine rice
4–6 asparagus spears, woody ends removed
3 slices (about ¼ block) halloumi cheese
Pickled red onion, to serve
Honey lemon dressing
1–2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Wash artichokes, then sprinkle with a little sea salt. Roast whole for about 20 minutes, or until they can be easily pierced with a sharp knife. Turn off the oven. Mix the cherry tomatoes in a little olive oil, then place onto the roasting tray in the oven after removing the artichokes. These will warm and slightly burst in the residual heat.
- Prepare jasmine rice by rinsing well, then adding to the pan with one-and-a-half times its volume of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes, uncovered, until cooked. Drain then return to the pan, cover with tea towel and the lid, and leave to sit for a few minutes.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat and griddle asparagus spears in hot pan, until coloured and cooked, but still
with a nice bite.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat and griddle slices of halloumi for about 4 minutes on each side, turning every now and then, until golden on the outside on both sides and soft in the middle.
- To make the honey lemon dressing, mix together lemon juice, honey and olive oil.
- Assemble your bowl by arranging the jasmine rice, Jerusalem artichokes, tomatoes, asparagus, and halloumi in your bowl. Add some pickled red onion and drizzle over the dressing to serve.
This is an edited extract from Nourish Bowls published by Quadrille, $24.99.