Feast on divine duck that’s brought to life with the crisp notes of sweet and sour apples.
Craig Cook The Natural Butcher has your meaty needs sorted this Easter with a range of poultry in store including the juicy duck you’ll need for this recipe. Ask the team to pre-order your duck and also for their top prep tips and favourite ways to reimagine your leftovers.
Duck with Apple (For 4 servings)
Prep and cook time: 3 h
Cannot be frozen
1 roasting duck (2 kg), cleaned and trimmed
2 tbsp sunflower oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
4 celery stalks, roughly sliced on the bias
3 Golden Delicious apples, cored and cut into wedges
3 nectarines, pitted and cut into wedges
250 ml chicken stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170° fan) | 375F | gas 5.
- Season the inside cavity of the duck with salt and pepper. Prick the skin all over with a fork before seasoning with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Place a large roasting dish over moderate heat. Add the oil and unsalted butter to the pan, letting the butter melt and foam. Carefully place the duck in the dish, searing it until golden brown all over, about 6-8 minutes, turning as needed.
- Flip the duck onto its back; transfer the dish to the oven. Roast for about 2 hours 10-20 minutes, turning the duck over after 1 hour, until the thickest part of the thigh registers 79°C | 175F on a meat thermometer; add the celery, apple, nectarine, and stock to the dish when you turn the duck over. Baste the duck with the stock from time to time.
- When ready, remove the duck from the oven and loosely cover it with aluminium foil, leaving it to rest for at least 20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, cut the duck into portions. Divide the duck, celery, fruit, and juices from the dish between plates.